Michigan Wildlife Council Explore the Riverfront
(FOX 2) – The Michigan Department of Natural Resources has proposed adding several new insects, mammals, fish, amphibians, and reptiles to the state's endangered and threatened species list.
According to a draft that outlines the different species the DNR has suggested should be added to the list, they include new species of mollusks, two kinds of bumblebees, rattlesnakes, turtles, more than a dozen birds, and multiple bat species.
The DNR came up with its revised list after hosting seven different advisory committees that made recommendations based on the specialities of each animal species. The list was first unveiled during a public meeting on Aug. 30.
The department is now accepting comments on the proposed changes for the rest of the month.
READ NEXT: Isle Royale wolf population makes an astounding comeback after nearly dying off
Animal species are granted special governmental protections under the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, which can restrict development near habitats where the threatened species live.
Box turtles, a species of concern in Michigan, inhabit the wood lots and adjacent fields of Fort Custer. Parks and Recreation staffers attempt to pattern the turtles' seasonal habitat usage to ensure land management practices.
Written comments on the proposed changes may be sent to [email protected] or by mail to Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife Division, ATTN: Endangered Species Specialist, P.O. Box 30444, Lansing, MI 48909.
Comments will be accepted until Sept. 30.
Recommendations for endangered threatened species list
- Rayed bean, Eastern pond mussel, Fawnsfoot, Black sandshell, Six-whorl vertigo.
- Rusty-patched bumblebee, American bumblebee, Swamp metalmark, Robertson's Flightless planthopper, Huron River leafhopper, Ottoe Skipper, Russet-Tipped clubtail, Gray petaltail, Frosted elfin, Tiger spiketail, Leafhopper, Alleghany river cruiser, Culver's root borer, Nabokov's blue, Grizzled skipper, Elusive clubtail.
- Southern redbelly dace, shortjaw cisco, Mooneye, Sauger, Orangethroat darter, Silver chub, Bigmouth shiner, Brindled madtom.
- Small-mouthed salamander, Western lesser siren.
- A copper-bellied water snake, a Wood turtle, an Eastern massasauga rattlesnake, Eastern box turtle.
- Long-eared owl, Henslow's sparrow, Northern goshawk, Eastern whip-poor-will, Upland sandpiper, Spruce grouse, Black tern, Evening grosbeak, Peregrine falcon, Caspian tern, Cerulean warbler, Kirtland's warbler, Golden-winged warbler.
- Little brown bat, Northern long-eared bat, Evening bat, Eastern pipistrelle or Tricolored bat.